Human growth hormone (HGH) and testosterone therapy are popular among bodybuilders and anti-aging enthusiasts. While both achieve many of the same results, such as enhancing muscle and improving sex drive, each has unique benefits and side effects.
Doctors have been treating growth hormone deficiency since the 1950s. The synthetic form of HGH, now known as Somatropin, has treated hormone deficiency and poor growth in children and adults since the ’80s, according to Somatropin.net.
Synthetic testosterone was developed in the 1930s. Interest in testosterone supplementation and replacement therapy increased a decade later when researchers discovered it improved symptoms of depression, memory loss, fatigue and loss of sexual vigor in aging men.
Some bodybuilders prefer HGH to testosterone because it produces lean and toned muscle with almost no side effects, according to Karlis Ullis, M.D. and Joshua Shackman, Ph.D for Mesomorphosis.com. Although testosterone is better for gaining muscle mass, side effects can include acne, puffiness, mood swings and prostate enlargement. Ullis and Shackman believe testosterone, despite its side effects, is better overall for improving body composition, due to its lower cost, lower dosage requirement and safety, as compared to HGH.
Positive Facts of Human Growth Hormone
- Reverse Aging.
- Increase in Height.
- Enhanced Metabolism.
- Better Immune System.
- Improvement in Muscles Strength
- improved immune system
- greater cardiac output
- improved blood pressure.
- overall tissue regeneration: This includes regeneration of major organs which shrink with age.
Negative Side Effects of HGH Include:
- Muscle pain
- Change in belly appearance
- Allergic reactions
- Low blood sugar,
- Diabetes, Hypoglycemia
- Pituitary disorders
- Hormonal imbalance
- Thyroid disorders
- Sexual dysfunction, Impotence
Positive Side Effects of Testosterone
- Improved sexual desire, function and performance
- Improved bone density
- Increased muscle mass and strength
- Decreased body fat
- Better mood and quality of life
- More energy and better sleep
- Improve brain function and reduced risk of Alzheimer’s
- Better blood sugar regulation and decreased risk of diabetes
- More nitric oxide production and more oxygen delivered to cells.
Negative Effects of Testosterone Therapy
- Abnormal liver function test
- abnormal renal function
- bad unusual or unpleasant (after) taste
- bleeding gums
- blemishes on the skin, pimples
- blurred vision
- breast enlargement
- breast pain
- buccal inflammation
- change in taste