Apples Anti-aging. This fruit is low in calories (about 80 calories each), rich in fiber including cellulose, hemicellulose, pectin and lignin (the latter is in the peel). It has numerous health benefits especially for those past middle age.
Apples Anti-aging effects Quercetin found in apples is an important plant pigment flavonoids that serves as a building block for other members of the flavonoid family. Quercetin combats the “free radical” molecules that play a part in many diseases and aging. Including this fruit in yourdiet every day is a practical anti-aging diet activity.
Apples and Cancer – In 2006 scientists from The Institute of Nutrition at Friedrich Schiller University in Germany found that “apple flavonoids modulate toxicological defense against colon cancer risk factors. In addition to the inhibition of tumor cell proliferation, this could be a mechanism of cancer risk reduction.”
If you want to read the whole study go to: Molecular Carcinogenesis 2006 Mar;45(3):164-74 “Apple flavonoids inhibit growth of HT29 human colon cancer cells and modulate expression of genes involved in the biotransformation of xenobiotics.”
Also, apples are one of the few fruits that provide ellagic acid which blocks the cancer causing effects of many pollutants including benzene compounds.
Apples have been shown to be effective in reducing others forms of cancer such as lung, breast cancer. Including apples,especially pesticide free or apples washed in special pesticide reducing solutions is a practical anti-cancer activity. And the Phytonutrients in the skin of apples have been shown to inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells by 43%
Apples and Cholesterol reduction – Studies show that 2 large apples a day causes a 16% drop in cholesterol levels. That is a much less expensive way to reduce your cholesterol – and you do not risk negative side effects of drugs. It appears that it is the high amount of pectin as well as the flavanoids in apples that makes for cholesterol reduction.
Blood sugar regulation – the pectin in this fruit has been shown to regulates blood sugar – even in insulin dependent diabetics.
More Apples Anti-aging health benefits
- Diarrheal If you have diarrheal it is helped by apple pectin. In fact pectin is an ingredient in over the counter anti-diarrheal aids.
- Stronger bones, improved mental alertness, help for arthritis.Boron a Osteopenia (thin bones) and Osteoporosis (porous bones) are the bane of aging. Apples contain boron, a trace mineral essential to Strong bone. Researchers in England found that low boron was also associated with rheumatoid arthritis and some studies show the boron can help reduce the pain of osteoarthritis. Finally, boron is essential for mental alertness.
- Apples also contain Quercetin. Quercetin is believed to:
- Reduce cancer risk – including prostrate cancer
- Prevent heart attacks
- Ward off cataracts and macular degeneration
- Control asthma
- Help with Crohn’s disease
- Prevent gout attacks
- Help heal of recurrent heartburn, or gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD)
Hints for buying Apples anti-aging fruit
If possible buy certified organic apples or those from a local farm that has a program of controlled and low pesticide use. If you are at a farmers market, ask about pesticides – if and when they were applied to the crop.
Look for firm, clear skinned fruit. Apples just from the tree are hard, really hard – almost like a golf ball. Avoid buying bruised fruit since this can be a sign that oxidation has occurred.
Fruit with small brown scales are safe to eat. Sometimes there can be pock marks from hail. This only affect the ‘aesthetics of the fruit’.
Check out more on this amazing fruit below.